January 29, 2013

winter soup session: chicken, sweet potato and barley soup



You might have noticed me wax on about barley in my last winter session posting on December 4th.  I love that short rib, mushroom barley soup but this one is a close second, and much faster and easier especially if you have some leftover cooked chicken hanging out in your refridgerator.

The original recipe, adapted from Melissa Clark from the New York Times, labeled it as "spicy".  I do not feel the heat (although you certainly could increase the chili powder) but I really appreciate the warmer spices melding together, especially with the coconut milk pulling it all together.



The next time I make this soup, I will add the spinach in at the very end so it retains its color and nutrients a bit more.

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...